Thursday, June 23, 2005

Men with long hair

The Zombieslayer used to have very long hair. Yes, it was half-way down my back and it looked awesome. I used both Paul Mitchell and KMS in the past, liking both of them about equally. I had so much body in my hair that I could cut off the split ends individually without going to the barber and getting an inch trimmed off. My hair was pimp.

A heavy metal musician I was. Despite losing money every year, I loved it. There was nothing like the feeling of getting up there on stage and going wild.

But I had to grow up and my hair became more of a pain than something cool, so I cut it all off and now, the Zombieslayer is clean cut just like everyone else. However, I will defend the right for a man to grow his hair out for two reasons - a lot of cool people in history had long hair, and a lot of evil people had short hair.

Geronimo and Sitting Bull both had long hair. I have a big picture of Geronimo with his serious look and a rifle in the guest room. That guy was cool. Outnumbered and outgunned, he still managed to hold off both the Mexican and the American governments for decades. You ever read his autobiography? For the record, the American government actually wanted to work with him. We gave him a raw deal, I won't argue that, but we did try. The Mexican government however wanted them exterminated.

The Vikings had long hair. So did all the people in Lord of the Rings, which although fiction, Tolkien did base his fantasy on both history and legends. And of course Jesus had long hair, as did all the Disciples.

Idi Amin, the most evil person of the 20th Century, had short hair. So did Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Mao. Saddam Hussein has short hair, except when he was hiding in that hole. But that's because he didn't have a barber in that hole. If he did, I bet he would have had short hair when we found him.

Those people are all on my list of the top people who suck and they were all clean cut. Most of those psycho murderers had short hair too. Charles Manson is an exception, but that's probably because he was too lazy to get a haircut. Or maybe barbers didn't like him and they just pointed to the sign "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" when he came in to get a haircut.

So the next time you have the urge to yell at some hippie to get a haircut, restrain yourself. Long hair on men is cool. If you want to yell at him to take a shower, then that's perfectly fine with me.

16 Comments:

Blogger clothosfate said...

hahahaha... I love long hair on men, unless of course it just doesn't suit them. My love has longish hair, he lets it get to the middle of his back (which only takes one year from clean-cut, no word of a lie) and then he chops it all off again, he also used to be a rock musician. I wonder what it is between music and hair? Oh and another evil man who has short hair is as we speak, running your country and has designs on the whole world. Lets just call him Master of the Evil Empire.

6/23/2005 10:03 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I recently got into ponytail range with mine for the first time in 22 years, but it was just too much hassle, and off it went. Now people are telling me I look younger with the short hair, so I guess it's not all bad.

6/23/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Clothsofate - I've heard this from a few hairstylists, that the average person's hair grows a half an inch a month, so yes, your beau's hair grows fast. As for music and hair, musicians tend to be more emotionally exhibitionistic and long hair fits more. As for our President, I'll save that for another post. ;)

Jason - Funny, I knew a guy in his 40s who kept his hair long for the opposite reason. He wanted to look younger. The reason is he worked in software and there is a reverse age discrimination in the industry. Youth is favored over "old age" in that industry.

6/23/2005 11:53 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

*that person's picture is flipping me off*
Some men look fabulous with long hair and can still maintain a non-hippie image. Some men wear their long hair as a badge of rebellion. Some men wear long hair and it look dirty and greasy.
As a rule, the men with long hair that LOVE their long hair look beautiful and men and women alike covet their lucious locks.
For me, I like the clean-cut look on my man.
It makes him sexy.

6/23/2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Melanie - you'd be surprised. In the corporate world, a lot of men actually dye their hair gray because young men aren't taken seriously. I've always had a baby face and it's a bad thing. Try getting a long when you look like you just got out of school. So I do all my business transactions over the phone because I have a deep voice.

Sadie - Yeah, it really depends on the guy I guess.

6/23/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Oh Sadie, she's not flipping you off, she's flipping off the world. If you knew her, you'd see why. She's really cool.

6/23/2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Are you kidding me? I'm a child of the 70's; everybody had long hair. I think the short haircuts of today are our youth rebelling against our long haired males. My parents warned me this would happen. *SIGH*

6/23/2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

And Fabio?

I don't know what you've heard, but that dude is pure evil.

6/23/2005 3:52 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Long hair, short hair, it doesn't really matter...As long as it's not a mullet.

6/23/2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

I myself had long hair, only it didn't dangle down to my back. It extended about 14+ inches in a MASSIVE, throw-back 70's afro puff.

I was randomly stopped on streets by women asking to braid my hair, play with my hair, touch it and god knows what else but I loved it. It also went through a dread-lock phase (right before I started considering to chop it all off).

I did eventually cut it, junior year in college. The barber who cut it (in Washington D.C.) was an old man who said he hadn't seen an afro like that in over 20 years. He tried to convince me not to cut it.

Ever since then, my hair style of choice has been on the opposite side of the maintenance scale: A buzzed #1.

6/23/2005 8:09 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

I'm with Laurie... NO MULLETS EVER!!

6/23/2005 8:20 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Michael Bolton is a no talented a** clown. So, no, long hair does not make a dude cool.

6/23/2005 9:50 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

My tastes have changed over the years. When I was in high school, I loved long hair on guys. Now that I'm older, I don't like it. However, it doesn't help that I see guys with long hair who are bald on top and I think "why fight it?". I've seen enough mullets (when I lived in Texas - even women had them!) Blech.

6/24/2005 10:37 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

In the 80's I was so into the haior bands. My parents thought it was a phase I would never outgrow and they teased me about how much hair product my house would have, me and my rocker husband. In my 20's, my thing was that I could never date someone with longer hair than me. I still love the long haired rocker look, though. Bret Michaels and Sebastian Bach still look great with it. James Hetfield looks great with short hair, though something still seems wrong with that.

6/24/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Jodi - I saw Bret Michaels and Poison a few years back live in Texas. They were actually quite good.

Anti-mullet people - Okay, I agree with you here. Mullets are not cool.

6/26/2005 4:14 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

I told my wife sometime back to make a decision... short or long. I'm a geezer now, so I just can't handle the time commitment to a hairstyle. So, it's ponytail or buzzed.

I'm old school... from the days when we would say to one another, "hey, man, it's getting really good in the back." I surfed, so my hair was real long all over, except the bangs. My sisters were jealous, because my hair was like the Zombieslayer's... very thick, dark and full body. I was happy to see that style reclaimed again among some metal guys in the late 80's.

One time, I was driving my little '71 Toyota with four guys, all hair way past the shoulders and four boards on top. Local law enforcement pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 32 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Later, as I looked at the ticket, the smart alec identified the four occupants as 1 male (from my driver's license) and 3 females... should I have contested it?

6/26/2005 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home