Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I got tagged

All right, Sadie. I'll do it.

Trivia: If I had to choose between books, movies or music; I could only have one of these for the rest of my life…I’d choose music. What would you choose?

That would be a brutal choice, because I love all three. However, I'm going to break the rules and do books even though I chose music because my musical tastes are too old. Of all the bands I really, really like, only Cradle of Filth are not a bunch of British geezers.

Total # of books owned:
Hundreds. Our house in Texas had some sick built in bookshelves and this house doesn't so Mrs. Zombieslayer and I have books pouring into the hallway and books on the floor in every room.

Last Book I bought:
Hardy Boys' Hunting for Hidden Gold. I read to Junior every night before he goes to sleep. Last book I read to him was Treasure Island and before that, the Narnia books.

Last Book I read:
The Rape of Nanking. People rant and rave non-stop about how evil the Nazis were but they were gentlemen compared to Imperial Japan. Don't believe me? Buy this book. Just be warned, the author blew her brains out (literally) a few years after writing it. It took me months to read because it was so disgusting. And don't show this book to kids either. The subject matter is too mature. Sad thing is Nanking isn't the only city they did this to. They pretty much did this everywhere they went.

Five books that have special meaning to me:
Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad. A book that exposes white slavery, common man white American history, and the guilty white liberal. Hated among the politically correct.

People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Shows that no matter what color or ethnicity you had in American history, your ancestors struggled. A good book to read back to back with Goad.

Hayduke Lives by Edward Abbey. The machine is destroying the Great American Outdoors. Four of society's rejects fight it, one doing it by gunpoint. A very funny book. I'm sure I'm on some list for reading this one.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Probably my favorite book of all time. We've probably all read it so no need to comment about it. One of these days I'll read Mere Christianity.

Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog. As you know, I'm sick and tired of hearing people whine about "my people," especially people who as far as I'm concerned didn't do s*** for America. However, the Native Americans did get the shaft and still do. Easy reading, but hard to stomach.

Honorable Mentions: The Harry Potter books. I love JK Rowling. She definitely has a rebel streak in her that I find so sexy. If you haven't read them, they're not just kiddie books.

I'm tagging Savage, Ben, and Cultureshocked, although Cultureshocked has the right to say no because he's in a countdown and I might screw him up by tagging him.

16 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

hey zombie, i have a copy of mere christianity. i'll give it you when you come down. great book.

6/22/2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Excellent selections on the literature! I have the entire series by C.S. Lewis, Lakota women is excellently written and very thought provoking. I will certainly check out the imperial japan one too, your blurb makes me interested!

And, it is always fun to see what comments you have for Rat.

6/22/2005 2:35 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Dave - very cool. I'll check it out.

JK - Never heard of Patriot's History. You won't be disappointed with the Harry Potter books. They actually get better because you could tell, the first ones were heavily edited then as she got bigger, she got to do things her way. Four and five, I've read twice each.

Fantasticalice - Welcome. Rat cracks me up. He's so, well, Rat.

6/22/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I want to start rereading Harry Potter before 6 comes out. We all love JK!

6/22/2005 4:09 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Trivia: If I had to choose between books, movies or music; I could only have one of these for the rest of my life…I would chose music.

Without a doubt, Music.

Total # of songs owned:
Tens of Thousands.

Last CD I bought:
Hmmm… I don’t really buy CDs. I download stuff (paid and totally legal … just incase anyone is reading)

Last Song I heard:
Jim Croce “Operator” – Good jam, a little on the sad side (in terms of the story/ content) but sang and arranged exceptionally.

Five songs that have special meaning to me:

Nina Simone “Strange Fruit” – I cannot even begin to describe this song. Haunting lyrics and great delivery.

Sade “Smooth Operator” – That’s what I am, that’s what I am, let’s leave it at that.

Nina Simone “Sinnerman”: A special, special song. It keeps me on the ‘good’ side, because there comes a point that if one does too many ‘bad’ things … he (or she) will have no where to run to.

“Me & Mrs. Jones” Billy Paul: I love the song and it has always made me wonder if I will ever have an affair with a married woman.

“Imagine” John Lennon – I’m anti-Utopia (because it doesn’t really make sense) but I love the line “You may say I’m a dreamer … but I’m not the only one” because I dream a lot.

Honorable Mentions: Anything Motown.

6/22/2005 4:24 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Oh, and I guess I 'tag' Polanco.

6/22/2005 4:43 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Zombie, Hmmm, interesting, I accept your tag!

6/22/2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Thanks for living up to the tag, ZS. Cool list. That Rape of Nanking sounds intense. I'm usually pretty strong when it comes to rough reading material, watching those acts in a movie do me in every time--which is one of the reasons I chose books over movies. I can deal with life so much better when someone is telling the story and I'm in charge of how far I'll let my imagination wander...with movies, you're stuck with whatever visuals they throw at you.

6/22/2005 5:25 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Your answers make me want to reak Lakota Women and People's History of the US.

6/22/2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Wow. You're a nerd. Who would have known. :P

I don't know how to play tag. :D

6/23/2005 3:36 AM  
Blogger begins with v said...

oh my gosh...that is like asking would you prefer to be blind or deaf...

6/23/2005 7:12 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Fine, I accept.

Trivia: I correct published books with a red pen. I read everything I can find. Is there any question which I would choose?

Total # of books owned:
We're moving and my books take up the bulk of our boxes so far. I would say over 1,000.

Last Book I bought:
The Red Tent - excellent fictional story about Dinah of the Bible.

Last Book I read:
I am currently reading Lies My Teacher Told Me

Five books that have special meaning to me:
To Kill a Mockingbird - Something about it touched me in 8th grade and it's been my favorite since.

Dubliners - I wrote my undergraduate thesis on it and never understood the Irish more.

The Once and Future King - I realized that fantasy and reality, fo written the right way, make an incredible story.

People's History of the United States - I decided to get my history degree after reading it, just for fun.

A Great and Terrible Beauty - A gothic novel with an intriguing story. I couldn't put it down, and it renewed my interest in the genre.

Honorable Mention: he Giver by Lois Lowrey - I love to teach this book to my students!

6/23/2005 7:40 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Tshsmom - Who doesn't. Love those books.

Cultureshocked - Mrs. Zombieslayer loves Jim Croce. Too bad he died broke. He got screwed by the record companies. As for Nina Simone, you're not the first person to recommend her. I need to check her out.

Ben - looking forward to it.

Sadie - pics included in the book. They're pretty graphic.

Jen - if you read them, let me know your thoughts.

Jenn - Yeah, I do read a lot. As for tag, if someone tags you, you have to do the same thing they did.

Slade - yeah, difficult questions, especially since I love all three.

PC - you have more books than we do. I heard about the book Lies My Teacher told me. Is it good?

6/23/2005 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nina Simone, love her. Her version of Strange fruit is haunting I perfer it over Billy hollidays.

6/23/2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

It's really interesting. It's got some good points.

6/24/2005 5:05 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Arika - yet another fan of Nina Simone's. I need to give her a listen (totally unfamiliar with her work).

PC - Okay, I'll check it out.

Paul - Ah, finally. You've come. You're most welcome here. You and Ben have some interesting arguments back and forth and you debate like old pals, which is the best way to debate. I assume you know each other from before. I keep seeing Diamond's book but have yet to poke into it. I'll have to put that on my queue of books to read as well.
Mrs. Zombieslayer reads Asinov. I've only read some of his essays. Very interesting. Not familiar though with Card or Ludlum.

6/24/2005 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home