Thursday, June 16, 2005

PC Part II - The boy who cried wolf

Bigot. Fascist. Racist. Homophobe. Prejudice. Intolerant. Anti-Semite. I have heard those words so many times that they seriously mean nothing to me. When I hear someone call someone else any one of those words, I simply tune the caller out.

Nowadays, the only time I'd listen to those words is when it's in a comedy skit, like how Uncle Leo in Seinfeld called everyone an anti-Semite. The cook accidently screwed up his order and gave him a ham sandwich. Of course, he must be an anti-Semite. That's funny stuff.

Or even better, the Dave Chapelle show. I know his show is rude and crude, but he makes me laugh. I loved it when Dave Chapelle was the blind head of the KKK. That's funny stuff. If you don't know who Dave Chapelle is, he's a comedian who will do anything to be funny even if it means offending everyone. I'm surprised some do-gooder Tipper Gore wannabe hasn't tried to censor him yet.

See, this is another thing I love about America. The little nuances that make up our humor foreigners just don't get. The Canadians get it because we're practically the same people, except they have better sex than we do and they have this concept called health care, but we make more money and own cooler guns. But other foreigners always get offended by our humor. Come on, if they get offended by me, do you really think they could stomach Dave Chapelle?

Where in the world was I planning on going with this? Oh yeah, I'm talking about the boy who cried wolf. Remember that story when you were a kid? Well, there will always be people like the Jesse Jackson types who will look for racism when it's not there and scream and shout until everyone walks away. His work will actually undermine the great strides that some of my heroes like Dr. King and Rosa Parks did, because everyone else is just tired of hearing about it. When I hear the words "racist," "bigot," "intolerance," "sexist," "prejudice," I shut them out. I'm sick of it. Those words are so overused by the people who will never experience prejudice in their life that when real prejudice happens, nobody lifts a finger to help.

Frankly, Americans are all in the same boat. It doesn't matter what color skin you have, your religion, your gender, etc. Our government has become the world's rent-a-cop and spends like there's no tomorrow. We're giving our economy to every other nation but us. We're letting everyone and their grandma immigrate here. I think there are much bigger fish to fry than dealing with people's feelings. And also, the way I see it, if someone is offended that easily, they're way too thin-skinned to survive the upcoming zombie plague.

P.S. For all you Dave Chapelle fans, of course he's getting an invitation to the compound.

P.P.S. My immigrant bashing has nothing to do with legal immigrants. Those good folk actually pass tests in American history, our culture, and our Constitution. They end up knowing more about America than a lot of native born Americans do.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

ZS, great post dude, I agree 100%, I love Dave Chapelle, funniest comedian out there now. Too bad he lost it and season three won't be out for like another year. But that is so true, espically the part about legal immigrants. I wonder how danielle will feel about this post.

6/16/2005 9:03 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

PC is obviously asinine, but I’m not sure that we agree about Canadian healthcare. Not only is it egregious wealth redistribution, it’s inefficient. Moreover, US “emergency rooms” may not refuse service on the grounds of a failure to pay. Add to that Medicaid, Medicare and the panoply of private insurers. America doesn’t exactly lack healthcare. Also, the relationship of Canada’s economy to it’s tax rates is not negligible. The same can be said for Western Europe…just sayin’.

6/16/2005 9:24 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Yo- I am a 'legal' immigrant, but I'm so offended by the idea that I can NEVER be president of the United States, ever ... just because I wasn't born here. Do I have to go and call you a bunch of "GIRLIE MEN?"

You know, I feel that once I have passed all those tests and become a "CITIZEN", I'm on equal grounds with all those other naturally-born citizens. Yet I still feel 2nd class ... the constitution of "THE LAND OF ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES" unfortunately bans my possibility of one day ruling this country.

Eh ... Would you vote me if I was running?

6/16/2005 10:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Dave Chapelle is AWESOME. Funny yet also social commentary - like the greats Prior, Carlin, Bruce. I loved the "Racial Draft" skit - that's still my favorite. Also try to find the Eddie Murphy skit on pretending to be a white man from SNL.

There is a fine line between humor and bigotry and it is defined by the INTENT of the person. My friend Donna and I always throw racial slurs back and forth to one another. She's a "slope" and I'm a "cracker" - but we mean it as fun. If someone unfamiliar with our senses of humor overheard, they'd likely be appalled.

Oh, and Cultureshocked - Don't feel like a 2nd class citizen, 99% of us who were born here have no hopes of ever being president either. We're all in the same boat.

6/17/2005 7:27 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cultureshocked - seriously, don't feel bad. You'd be better off as a Senator than as President. Senators have a tremendous amount of power without having people going through their past, which is why I could never be President.

As a Senator, don't worry, you'd have my vote for the reason I know you won't try to censor my music like some other Senators have tried to do in the past. Music to me is a huge part of my life still and it disgusts me when politicians want to decide what you should and should not listen to.

Love the Girlie Men reference. Of course I got it, being in the granola state (fruits, nuts, and flakes).

6/17/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

The racial draft is definitely my favorite too.

I'm over my presidential aspirations, too many people would end up hating me no matter what.

And speaking of senators, your "Granola State" (nice one) has one cool-ass senator in the form of Barbara Boxter.

6/17/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Did I mention that one of my best friends has a picture of him with his arm around her? He was at the time in there with the big wigs in the CA Democratic Party. She used to be pretty cute when she first hit the scene.

On some of her issues I totally agree with her. She was the original person who exposed the $800 toilets for the military. What would happen is the Gov't would contract with a corporation, then pretty much give them a blank check. It was the corporation that was filling in $800 for a toilet and $100 for a screwdriver. We (taxpayers) were just picking up the tab.

She's also for setting aside land for open space. Big thumbs up in my book. Then again, she gets an F from just about every gunowner org out there. So, oh well. I guess I can't find a Senator I completely agree with.

6/17/2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

If Dave Chapelle stays in your compound instead of mine, can you have him send some tapes? I have a feeling I'll be needing plenty of good humour when the Zombie plague strikes...

You better be careful with your admissions though... they might be used against you some day.

For example...

Mrs. ZS - "Honey, I'm going to take the credit card to buy some bread... eh hem... 'prejudice'... and some expensive new shoes and a new dress... umm... That's alright isn't it?"
ZS - "Huh... some bread? Yeah great..."

See what I mean?

6/17/2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Not that Mrs. Z-Slayer would ever do that... just an example of what could happen...

6/17/2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Bridget - Thanks babe! Much appreciated.

Melanie - I thought I already told you you're welcome.

Shawn - Well, like Pavaratti, I think we'll need to send a rescue team for Chappelle. I just don't see him as a great fighter. So I'll radio you. Whomever is closer gets him.

6/17/2005 8:30 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Chapelle might surprise you... He's streetwise you know! Comedians are often underated in that regard.

I'm pretty sure a hand-picked squad of funnymen could be fashioned into an excellent Zombie fighting brigade...

(Open note to the FBI who could be using the Patriot Act to read this right now... I was talking about fighting Zombies, not the current administration...)

6/17/2005 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home