Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My land is my land

Robert of the Libertopia blog wrote a number of pieces on this subject so much more eloquently than I ever could, but still, I wanted to write something about it. I'm sure I'm way more extreme than he though and what I'm about to say, he might want to distance himself from me. No hard feelings though, Robert. I understand completely.

I'm talking about the recent Supreme Court decision basically saying that corporations can use the government to take your land from you, with just compensation of course, if they can show that they could make the property look better. Screw that. For one thing, it bothers me to no end that recently, the trend has been the corporate state over the individual. I'd love to see a guy with a shotgun challenge this. I'd even pay for his lawyer fees if he survives. If not, I'll help out his next of kin with anything I can.

You know this ruling will be used against the little guy - the guy who can't afford a good lawyer. Corporations will look at the little guy and just take his land from him. And just compensation? Who determines that? You know the little guy will be on the losing end of that one.

I know I'll be on some list for saying this, but I don't care. I'm sure I'm already on some list because I believe in freedom still. It's all about Life, Liberty, and Property and what's mine is mine. If some corporation wanted my land, I'll fight them first through legal means. If I lose there, they better be able to run more than 2000 feet per second.

I find the recent trend towards the corporate state very disturbing. I hope to find like-minded people who truly believe in American values. I still think America is the best place to live and I'm not kidding either. But we must be vigilant in our fight for freedom. We can't let our wonderful country continue to go the route it's going.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! When I heard that on the news the other day, I almost died. Freaking corporations. What has our country turned into?

7/05/2005 7:08 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I read on another blog that the ultimate decisions will be up to the individual states. I guess it's time to start lobbying our state governments to take a stand against this!

7/05/2005 7:24 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, this one burns me. Garden Grove tried to pull this a while back but got scared off. I'm sure they'll try again. Where I'm moving is probably safe, although "Old Towne" Yorba Linda is at serious risk of gentrification.

7/05/2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

The law of Morality sides with those able to field the heaviest artillery.

7/05/2005 9:06 PM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

Amen, bro!

7/05/2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Don’t get me wrong, ZS…one does what one must. I think that your sentiments are more than called for, if indeed local governments persist in confiscating property for corporate interests.

7/06/2005 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty f*cking sick that because someone doesn't like the way your property looks, they can just buy it and make it look pretty--you know, by putting in another Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

I feel a blog coming on about homeowners' associations too. Fascist bastards!

7/06/2005 4:17 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't see why your views would be seen as extreme? I think you're right on the mark on this one. American society is becoming more and more commodified, commericialized and corporatized (if that's not a word yet, I want the rights). This is just another attempt to stamp out the rights of the little people.

Also, think of the implications for conformity. Your neighbors don't like the way your property looks because you don't conform to their standards for what it should look like?

There's also an ordinance in Chicago now that if a bar/club is considered a "nuisance" by a certain percentage of people in the district it can be closed. So say goodbye to anything individual. They'll close down the local dives and install Buffalo Wild Wings and Champs instead.

Unfortunately, most people are too wrapped up in the consumerism to think that this could ever possibly affect them, and hence, don't care.

7/06/2005 7:04 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Argument well taken -- but who doesn't want a Wal Mart in place of their dream home on land they've worked a lifetime to get !?!

7/06/2005 10:05 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Good luck. It is better to aim low than to aim high.

7/11/2005 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home