Tuesday, July 05, 2005

DVD Rentals

The Zombieslayers had a wonderful four-day weekend. We went down to the San Francisco Bay Area, visiting friends and relatives. We spent the days outdoors and the nights pigging out and watching DVDs. I'll rate some DVDs for you, according to my tastes. Unfortunately, I don't have all my dead zombie images ready so not everything will get a dead zombie image. :(

Team America (unrated version) I'm a fan of Parker and Stone. I like South Park, I enjoyed Orgasmo, so I had to see this one. I was kind of disappointed though, because going in, I know Parker and Stone are crude, but they relied too much on crude humor for this. The songs though were hilarious. I loved Everyone's got AIDS, I'm so Ronery (lonely), and America, F*** Yeah!. I also busted a gut seeing all those pretentious celebrities get slaughtered. There's nothing more boring than hearing an actor talk politics, because actors live in a fantasy world and are totally out of touch with reality. Parker and Stone know this and took the most obnoxious ones and blew them up. But all and all, it was too over-the-top cheese and not really their best work. 5 dead zombies out of 10.

Dave Chappelle Season 2 You can't go wrong with this guy. As a stand-up comic, he's all right. Like him or not, Chris Rock is probably the best stand-up comic right now. But Dave Chappelle is the best comic writer. This one introduces Charlie Murphy. I finally got a chance to see what all the fuss was about. Murphy's stories are hilarious and of course Chappelle does a great job playing Rick James. The show of course is very unpolitically correct, so don't watch it with your PC friends. Definitely rent this one. 9 dead zombies out of 10.

Battlestar Gallactica Mini-Series First off, I love Edward James Olmos. I thought he was so much more cool than Crockett or Tubbs. Giving him the lead role was a great casting decision. This mini-series asks some serious philosophical questions, like, why should the human race survive? Do we just fight these monsters to survive, or do we have a higher purpose? It's well-done too. The graphiccs are okay, but they really rely on storyline and do a good job doing it. If you like sci-fi, check it out. 9 dead zombies

Family Guy This show is funny, I'll give it that. The reason I'm not crazy about it is I don't like any of the characters. You really need to give me a character to root for if I'm going to like your show. I hate that baby, I don't like the kids, and don't like the parents. If you don't care, if you just want a straight laugh, Family Guy is awesome. So, despite not liking the characters (except the dog), I'll give it 6 dead zombies out of 10.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I love the dog. And I must disagree, Stewie is awesome. There's something amusing to me about a baby that talks like Dr. Smith ala Lost in Space who is constantly trying to kill his mother. Also, you can't tell if they all understand him and just ignore him, or if he's babbling to them but in his own mind he's speaking eloquently.

I also love all the pop culture references.

7/05/2005 1:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, and yes, BSG was good. When Season 1 comes out on DVD you'll have to rent that too - the series is pretty damn good.

Chapelle rocks. And yes, Team America was mediocre. But you gotta love the Montage song!

7/05/2005 1:52 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

Hello Bridget Jones. I was watching a re-run of Renee Zelweger's movie, 'BRIDGET JONES' last night. I could not help but think of you Bridget, when 'Colin Firth' said to BJ, "I really love your WOBBLY Parts".
BJ had a nice smiling face, and a beautiful blubbery personality. Looking back, I now realise why you strongly objected to that word Wobbly, particularly so if you are a size 12; maybe, or are you a cuddly 16?.

7/11/2005 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home