Thursday, June 30, 2005

Movie review - Land of the Dead

Yesterday (technically), finally got a chance to see Romero's Land of the Dead. Let me tell you that it was downright awesome.

This time around, the human race is in shambles. The movie focuses on a city/fortress run by an evil capitalist. Whereas the other movies didn't have as much of a political point to it, this one made some serious statements about class. You had a situation where one super-rich guy controlled everything, you had an unarmed middle-class and a working class/everyone else. The leader of the city only let "the beautiful people" into the main building while the working class did all the work, took all the risks, and were basically like the Proles in 1984.

One thing I liked was that you had a genuine hero in this one. He had a pure heart and it wasn't any of that reluctant hero crap that Hollywood has overdone to the point that I think the next time I see one of those reluctant hero movies, I'm walking out and getting my money back.

The hero also had a best friend, a burn victim, who was plain out cool. So we had people to root for.

John Leguizamo played a maverick and he did a wonderful job at it. His character had a lot of depth. I've always liked him as an actor too.

The weird thing about the movie is this time around, the zombies actually learn. They can now hold things and use blunt weapons. One even learns to pump gas and fire a gun. He even sort of had a girlfriend (or maybe I was reading into it, she was the chick with the hole in her face) and did a mercy killing of another zombie. It wasn't poorly done though and it did work. Keep in mind that zombies still do have brains, although of course not in as good as shape as yours or mine. They still can only verbally communicate through grunts.

As an educational film, it definitely had its moments. Of course it showed why someone who shoots one shot one kill instead of full-automatic is better in an anti-zombie situation. It also shows very graphically why you shouldn't have piercings on your body. The people who fooled around of course all died horrible deaths as did innocent people who took orders from those people. And of course unarmed people all got killed. I'm telling ya, you better buy those guns while you still can.

So, I know you really wanted to see that Herbie movie. Forget it. See Land of the Dead instead. I'm still debating if this is my favorite zombie movie of all time. 10 dead zombies.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Sweet. I'll have to check it out.

6/30/2005 12:38 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I wasn't interested in it til
I read your review, but you make it sound good :)

6/30/2005 12:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Must see. I think we're going this weekend. I heard about the piercing scene. My favorite radio station has their movie review guy (the regular guy) who also gave a great review.

Thanks for reviewin.

6/30/2005 6:10 AM  
Blogger begins with v said...

ahhhh yeah!!! Thanks for this post!
ok so now I can tell you my fav parts:
~the piercing thing you were just writing about--oh yeah! hehe
~when the seemingly headless zombie was NOT actually headless
~when they all came up out of the water

awesome zombie movie!

6/30/2005 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was kind of wanting to see this, but now I guess I have to. From Yahoo's description it sounded like Metropolis, which I thought would make it an interesting film to watch from an academian's p.o.v.

6/30/2005 9:15 AM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

THANK YOU!

I was hoping it was good, I just had to wait to see what some reactions were. You gave me more of a background on the movie, not just a ehhh, it was good. I appreciate that. I will go see it soon, I LOVE zombie movies.

What did you ever think of 28 days?

6/30/2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

well I wasn't 100% sure on it but now I am for sure going to see it, ZS where did you get the cool zombie thing?

6/30/2005 10:58 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Ben - I made it with The GIMP, an awesome Unix program. It can do about 99% of what Photoshop can do.

Alice - The Mrs. and I actually hated 28 Days Later, although the "disease" was the most realistic of all zombie movies. Maybe someone needs to redo the movie.

Kitkat - you know, I have Metropolis on DVD but have yet to see it. I'm a kind of film buff and am ashamed to admit I haven't seen it yet.

Slade - I loved that headless scene. Romero's so clever.

Laura, Miranda, and Jenn - so welcome. You'll have to let me know if you liked it. Maybe a review on your blogs?

6/30/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Cant' wait to see it!

I loved all the Dawn-of-Day-of-Night-of-Noon-of-Evening-of-the Dead flicks.

I dug the zombies in the latest Dawn-of...
They moved fast, which was really freaky.

7/06/2005 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home