Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Car crashes, time issues, and shouts out

Someone crashed again

It never fails. Almost every time it rains, someone tailgates and crashes, making the rest of us have to drive bumper to bumper in the rain. Idiots.

So I started thinking, which cities have the worst drivers? New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Note that all four cities have the most strict gun laws in the country. Coincidence? Probably not.

Believe me, I'm aware that I'm slipping

Each week, I'll try to include "must reads." I used to do links to other blog posts more often, but now I have a time issue. Now that I got this new gig going on the side, I'm having less time to blog and it sucks. I really wish I had more time to blog, but realistically, I don't, until I'm in a position to give up the job with a steady paycheck. I don't expect that to happen though for at least six months.

So until then, bear with me. I used to do daily posts, now I'm lucky if I could do posts four times a week. This is not intentional. I used to see more movies too and that's why you rarely see a movie review on this blog anymore. I can't remember the last time I had a hot babe post and my Fifth Amendment post was months ago. I haven't even written my Sixth Amendment post yet.

And now, "must reads"

You know how much I'm into all things American Indian. It was a pleasant surprise to read a wonderful, but sad article about a Dying breed on Okie's blog. You really should read this post. It's definitely one of my favorite posts so far this year.

You also know how much I enjoy Laura's blog, even though she and I are complete opposites on the political spectrum. I always try to make a point to read a different opinion than mine just to keep me honest. At worst, it will cement why I think the way I do. At best, it will open me to new ideas.

Feminism has until recently left a bad taste in my mouth. I had an ex who was a true Feminazi. Her last words to me were "I hate men! I hate men!" before I hung up the phone and told her that I'm dead to her so don't even bother trying to contact me again.

A lot of other girls I've known from college called themselves "feminists," blamed men for all their failures, then asked me to open a jar for them or change their tire. What the !@#$%^&?

I've known some kind feminists as well who did love men, but the evil feminists, even though they may be a minority of feminists, are more vocal and do a tremendous amount of damage to the whole feminist movement.

Well, Laura definitely did her research. If you have time, read the comments section, for she and I did a lot of debating in half of the posts. I posted these in order.

I give Laura an A for these posts, not only for effort, but because they're well-written so even a layman like me could understand them. Enjoy.

On Feminism

Liberal Feminism

Radical Feminist Theory

Marxist Feminism

Post-Structural Feminism

And don't worry. Even though I enjoyed all these Feminists posts, I'm still the same, shallow guy who likes guns, beer and hoo hoos. However, if some guy in a bar came up to me and started talking about Radical Feminists vs Post-Structural Feminists, I'll know exactly what he's talking about.

Go Seahawks!

Lastly, let's hope Thom's team wins. I'll always have a soft spot for Mike Holgrem, for he brought the Packers yet another Lombardi trophy.

23 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Hmm... I didn't see any accidents today, but I was lucky to get home alive, considering all the assholes the rain brings out. Are you sure the bay area isn't one of the top horrid places for driving? :-P

Regarding Feminism, I read Laura's post. My brain is fried, so I have to give it another read before I can respond. I concur with your recommendation though - I always learn something reading Laura's blog. :-)

2/01/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Notta - Laura's a heck of a writer. I thoroughly enjoyed these posts.

Actually, I don't mind Bay Area drivers, except in the rain. Now if you go down to Los Angeles, you'll think Bay Area drivers are pretty good.

2/01/2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

zs said: I'll always have a soft spot for Mike Holgrem, for he brought the Packers yet another Lombardi trophy.

Let's not forget his role in the 49ers history. He was instrumental in their dynasty, a fact too often forgoten... like the niners themselves these days. :-[

~Mike

2/01/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Mike - Since coming out to California, the Niners have become my 2nd team. Yeah, Holgrem was on the Niners for years. He got to see a lot of Joe. Lucky guy.

Notta - Oh, forgot to mention, it was on I-680 about forty minutes north of you.

2/01/2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

I shall try to check them out but after I have caught up with your posts :)

2/02/2006 4:38 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Awwwww... thanks guys. It helps with my classes when I re-write what I'm learning in my own words and respond to alternative views - so you're helping me out a great deal... Funny visual about a guys in a bar discussing feminism.

Chicago drivers are assholes b/c we're taught to drive offensively.

What about adding a blogroll in the margin - that might save you some time.

I love your Bill of Rights posts. Do another soon.

2/02/2006 5:29 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

at dinner in austin most people had used guns!!! no one was packing heat, though ;)

grew up in boston so i can vouch that the drivers there are pretty freakin' bad. i'm glad they have strict gun control laws in nyc, though. the people on the streets here should NOT have guns. (a lot of nyc'ers are uptight with bad tempers.)

2/02/2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Miladysa - I know where you're coming from. I have a lot of catching up to do on blogs.

Laura - Yeah, I keep meaning to add a blogroll, just never get around to it. I've luckily never had to drive in Chicago myself. Isn't your public transportation pretty good though?

I'll do the Sixth when the inspiration comes...

Bearette - (a lot of nyc'ers are uptight with bad tempers.)

Wonder if after a few shootings, people will learn to control their tempers. In Texas, people learn to control their tempers. Nobody wants to get shot.

I spent 3 weeks in NYC. That was enough for me to not want to live there. Nice city to visit though.

2/02/2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yep - Chicago's public transit system is one of the best in the country, IMHO. I've been to New York and Boston and those are good too. Other places I've been are sorely lacking. We don't even own a car. We can get anywhere in the city and close-in suburbs that we want to go, and if we need to actually go to the woods (shudder), we just rent one for a weekend.

I have to concur with bearette - Boston drivers are crazy. At least in Chicago they STOP most of the time for pedestrians. In Boston, traffic signals are suggestions and you have to stare down the cars to cross the street.

2/02/2006 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a daily 100 mile+ commuter for five years, I feel your pain, Zombie. The worst are the slowdowns cause by rubbernecking. You get stuck in traffic for half-an-hour because everyone wants to take a look at the fender-bender on the other side of the road. And then you can't help but sneak a peak either...

2/02/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I miss you, but I understand. I need to cut back slightly too, and have lately. As you, I hope to get back onboard asap.

2/02/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Dawner said...

I could not imagine going through the traffic of a large city. About the closest I have gotten to any of that was driving through Chicago.(and I did this as fast a I could) I am a mid-west small town girl and high traffic towns make me very nervous. I don't see how you all do it.

I have my hands gripped so tight to the wheel I swear I am going to break my nails off in it and I sweat like a hog. No one is allowed to talk either. I have this look on my face like a deer in a pair of headlights.
Oh, big city driving not for me.

2/02/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I love Laura's writing too! I've read all her feminism essays, but haven't found one that I fit into. Oh well, it's not the first time I haven't fit into a niche. ;)

I only have about 1/2 hr/day to blog lately. :( Between work, homeschooling, and researching possible meds for Z, there isn't much ME time left. In addition the danged house-elves can't seem to find our house!

Manitoba drivers are the WORST! Closely followed by Iowa and Ontario(sorry Bridg). Although a lot of MN drivers can't seem to remember that you can't drive 60mph on icy roads!

2/02/2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - According to AAA, Boston has the worst drivers in the country. They lead the nation in accidents per capita.

Very cool you don't need a car. I'd love to be in a situation where I don't. I hate driving in traffic. It's the worst part of the day for me, even worse than corporate meetings.

Levi - 100+ miles isn't good for your body. To be in a car that long is not good. That's why truckers don't live very long. I feel bad for you.

The worst are the slowdowns cause by rubbernecking.

I am convinced that Houston is the rubber-necking capital of the country. I've never seen rubber-necking as bad as Houston. There, people will sometimes come to a complete stop alongside the road to see an accident.

Saurkraut - The thing I'm trying to setup will give me more blogging time. I really hope it pans out. I'm tired of working to make someone else rich.

Dawner - I've learned to cope, but I don't like it. I've commuted through Seattle, Los Angeles, Houston, and San Francisco. None of them are any fun. I'd rather deal with cows crossing the road, like how it is where Bo lives.

Wondering - I'm really hoping it's temporary. I'm trying to get something going on the side, but can't give up the day job until this venture makes enough money to pay the bills.

Tshsmom - Heh. Those essays were really a fun read for me. I argued my pros and cons with every one.

I know how you feel about not fitting a label. I really wish there was a political party that was close to what I believe. Even the Third Parties aren't.

As for Canadian drivers and MN drivers, I've only been to Vancouver. They didn't seem too bad. Have yet to go to MN, or if I did, it was when I was a little kid and I won't remember it.

2/02/2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger begins with v said...

I like beer and hoo hoos too! Not so much the guns...unless I'm in Bama shootin' at skeets in my in-loves back yard while downing some brewskies. You know, beer, guns, and hoo hoos, can be enjoyed all at once.

2/03/2006 8:39 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Slade - Nothing sexier than a hot English Professor with a shotgun. That image will make work tolerable today. ;)

Thanks Slade.

2/03/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I just HATE it when someone in a bar tries to talk your ear off about post-structural feminism! :(

2/03/2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

SME - Lol!

Yeah, really.

2/03/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Dawner said...

HELP-I have been forced out of my blog because of some Http Error 403. Does anyone know a way to get rid of this. I can edit and add to my blog but I can't veiw my blog. I have tried to reach blog support and have come up empty. If anyone can help my email is lattarra73@neomail.com. Thanks, sorry for the interruption ZS.

2/03/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Dawner - Sent you an email.

2/03/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I'd always heard or read that Memphis had the highest accident rate per capita in the country, but maybe Beantown has dislodged them. I live in a "small city" of about 75,000, but the traffic can be horrid here. I know, for sure though, that I could never live in a big city, because the traffic would be too much to handle.

2/04/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a lot of catching up to do on blogs, too. Thanks so much for voting for me on Miladys's blog!!

:)

2/05/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Bruce - I was referring to large city stats. I personally don't know small town stats.

Marcy - You make me laugh. So I hope you win.

2/06/2006 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home