Thursday, June 09, 2005

Is your love strong enough?

Enough's enough. I couldn't wait any longer. I marched into Tower Records and straight out bought it. I bought the Ultimate Edition, because it contained both a disk with the Euro version and a separate disk with the American version that has the Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

Legend. If you love fantasy, this movie's da bomb. And no, in case you're worried about it, Tom Cruise didn't kill it like he kills everything else he's in. Still, it would have been better if they casted Johnny Depp.

The disk set comes not only with the version Ridley Scott wants you to see (with the orchestra - one of these days, I might give it a shot), but also with the isolated Tangerine Dream sounds so you could play it and do your housework with their music as a backdrop. Pretty cool. And I know it's not heavy metal, but I love the Brian Ferry song Is your love strong enough?. Did you know that was none other than David Gilmour playing the guitar on that song?

Legend's a Ridley Scott flick about an innocent but naive girl who touches a unicorn and almost unleashes hell on earth. It has Mia Sara as the girl with Tim Curry as the Dark One. Awesome costumes. Awesome sets. The DVD's okay quality. I guess they salvaged it as best as they could but it was nothing compared to seeing it in the theatre.

I get the impression that Ridley Scott didn't like the Tangerine Dream soundtrack too much because they didn't bother remastering it into real high quality sound like they did with that orchestrated score on Disk 1. That's the bummer of it, but still, I love the movie. I know it was cheesy, but it and Ladyhawke were the two best fantasy movies until the Lord of the Rings series came out. Can't wait for Narnia too. I loved the books.

9 dead zombies. Wish they could have salvaged the movie better, but I'll take what I could get in this case.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Was this just released? I'll have to check it out.

6/09/2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Yeah, pretty recently. If I'm not mistaken, it was in the theatre in 1985 and the DVD is only a year old.

6/09/2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that movie and I love the soundtrack just as much. I could watch it again and again and again. I will buy this DVD as soon as I am able. Thanks for the reminder.

6/09/2005 4:21 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Sadie - I was really upset to find that the original soundtrack was hard to find until they released the Ultimate Edition, which has both. Just make sure you are getting that edition or else you will be very pissed.

Melanie - Yeah, Legend's my 2nd favorite pre-LOTR fantasy movie after Ladyhawke. What amazes me is they did Ladyhawke for only $21 million. Not sure those authors. Mrs. Zombieslayer probably knows, but she's asleep. I read mostly non-fiction now.

6/10/2005 12:01 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

I'm a huge fan of this movie, but I have a hard time finding people to share my love. Most people don't understand it. They think it's supposed to be like Lord of the Rings or something. But it's something entirely different.

6/10/2005 8:28 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

All - we need to get rich so we could produce them. Movies like this need to get made more often.

6/10/2005 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home