Sunday, May 22, 2005

Junior Zombieslayer's a Hero

Ever heard of Joe Delaney? He was an up-and-coming running back for the Kansas City Chiefs. You probably never heard of him because he died before he could have been great.

He came across three kids drowning in a swim hole and jumped in to save their lives. Little did he know that it was deeper and faster moving then he thought so he managed to save one of them, then drowned himself. The second kid made it to the shore by himself and the third kid drowned as well.

I myself am an excellent swimmer. I'm not fast, but I could swim almost the width of an Olympic-sized pool underwater. I got sucked into an undertow once, and I panicked. I guess it wasn't my time to go because by panicking, I got out.

Well, California had been raining a lot more than usual. I'd strongly advise good folks not to swim alone in her rivers and creeks, for you can easily get killed. I told Junior not to swim alone in the creek by the house, which now resembles a swift river.

He and his new friend jumped in and his friend caught an underwater snag. His friend's face turned to terror but Junior kept his cool, and grabbed his friend. As luck would have it (the Zombieslayer family is not known for their luck), a branch popped out of nowhere and hit Junior in the eye. Still, Junior maintained his cool and pulled his exhausted friend to the shore.

I've always been proud of Junior, but this was hands down the greatest thing he's ever done. I really like this new kid too. He's the most polite kid I've ever known. I thought he was British the first time I met him because of his mannerisms.

So, all that said, please folks, be careful. Junior and his new friend vowed that they won't go in that water hole until it dies down to a creek again. Don't swim alone, and never underestimate the strength of water.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I love the water and I love swimming. However, I fear moving bodies of water and I think one of my greatest fears is the ocean. It's so vast and unpredictable. Rivers are right up there with the ocean. Instead of waves, you have rapids...and rocks...and currents...*shivers* Thanks for this post; a good reminder.

5/22/2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Yay Junior! What a pal!

5/23/2005 4:54 AM  
Blogger Bsoholic said...

Good job Junior! Certainly something to be proud of.

5/23/2005 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home