Sunday, October 16, 2005

Home Sweet Home

I'm going to be online sporatically the whole next week, so just warning you in advance. I hope to have a few days where I can write and actually do some blogging, but no promises. It's not a hiatus, it's more taking care of what needs to be taken care of.

Several things went wrong with the move to Santa Barbara. My brother and I were planning on buying a fixer-upper house together in Goleta. We knew an old man who had a slew of rental homes, and we were planning on buying one from him, fixing it up, living it in two years, and selling it. We would have netted a nice wad of cash that would have been the down payment on the land & fortress.

Well, as my luck had it, the guy was already on the edge of sanity. He lost it right before I got there, so we had to abort the whole plan.

It was a tough three months, staying in a house where when you turn the shower faucet on, hundreds of ants would come out. I had to kill spiders on a daily basis and one night alone, killed two off of my back before they could sink their teeth into my skin.

I expected his houses to be in bad condition, but not that bad. They were falling apart, literally. Plus, he didn't want to talk to anyone, not even me.

We ended up losing a lot of money coming down to Santa Barbara. No regrets though. I'm just glad to be back in Northern California. Plus Junior met some real cool friends over the past few weeks. I'd hate to make him move again and start making friends all over.

The sad thing is because of this, we put off Mrs. Z's return to college for yet another semester. I really feel bad that all these years, she's sacrificed her goal of going to college for my career, a career I don't even like.

At work, I gave them an ultimatum. $30k raise or I walk. They told me they couldn't afford to do that, so I walked.

On the way home, I was supposed to pick someone up who offered to pay cash for gas money. Like a typical Californian, he flaked out. I had no money whatsoever, so I had to pay a $20 fine for having no cash going over the bridge on the way home. Thankfully, my Saturn gets excellent gas mileage, so I made it home.

Folks, there really is nothing like home. Sometimes you have leave home to fully appreciate it. Mrs. Z and I are heading over to the coffee place and we're going to chill and I'll actually be able to visit your blogs. Yeah. I missed you all. Tootles for now.

21 Comments:

Blogger tshsmom said...

Welcome home, ZS! It's NEVER a good thing to be separated from your family. Enjoy them!

10/16/2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger Udarnik said...

I wish I were as brave as you... you're in my prayers, man.

The edge of sanity... hmmm. Sounds like my neighborhood.

10/16/2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Tshsmom - Thanks. I'm so glad to be home. yes, agreed. It sucks big time to be separated from family. :(

Bo - You are brave. Love your post about the Varneys and all the cool musicians you knew personally that I grew up stealing leads from. Wow, wish I could have been there in that time period.

10/16/2005 4:51 PM  
Blogger Bsoholic said...

Ants in the faucets? Wow that's pretty freaky. Sorry things didn't work out for you, but like you said no regrets!

Have fun with your family.

10/16/2005 6:11 PM  
Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by my blog, I have been reading yours tonight,,, and really having a good time.. I needed to laugh so hard... thanks, And this post says it all,, especially since I am trying to save my Home Sweet Home from the Repo Man.....

10/16/2005 6:14 PM  
Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said...

Ants, spiders, and bugs, oh my!

Welcome back Zombie. There seem to be a lot of people changing jobs right about now. I know you will find a better one, because you are young, stong, and smart!

I am going to throw some magic your way. You have a wonderful wife. She must love you very much.

I wanted ot go to college so bad, but never got around to it. Now I think I am too old --- that and the fact that it cost more. Oh well ... such is life!

10/16/2005 6:53 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Rough couple of weeks, huh? Don't worry about Jr., though. Kids rebound pretty fast.

10/16/2005 7:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jesus man... that sounds like a wild ride. I remember seeing some of the houses in that area that were falling apart - quite a brave investment.

Well, good luck - hope we'll hear from you soon.

10/17/2005 6:30 AM  
Blogger jenbeauty said...

HI!!

10/17/2005 7:17 AM  
Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I had to kill spiders on a daily basis and one night alone, killed two off of my back before they could sink their teeth into my skin.

An image I could have done without this morning.
*feeling faint*
Welcome home, Z.

10/17/2005 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, ZS, I'm glad you're back up here. The zombies owned the area while you were gone. Plus, this makes our Blogfest more of a reality. Let's start thinking this Spring, OK?
Tell Mrs. Z I think she's very cool. Nothing like a not nagging, supportive wife when you're working hard to make things work. Like ole Paul the Apostle said, "Love always hopes, always trusts, always perseveres." I hate when women bail when things get hard. They never learn to love.
Like my pal Bo, I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

10/17/2005 9:47 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Sometimes you go back home to realize the reason you left in the first place.

10/17/2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Bsoholic - Yup. Nasty it was. :(
But currently setting up fat interviews right now. Hopefully will land one of these and that anti-zombie compound will be coming up sooner than later. :)

Scott - Best of luck. I knew two people now that were repo men. Sad that while everyone else seems to be out of a job, they're doing well. :p

Bridget - That's not good. Just make sure all your taillights are in working order and hopefully you won't get stopped.

LP - Thanks. Well, there's more than one way to an education. My wife's majoring in cosmotology. She's going to be a beautician, which I think she'll love doing.

PC - yup. We're good though, because we're staying put. Got three interviews already this week, so we'll be fine.

Hejuck - Man, amazing basketball abilities there. You need to come to California so we can trounce the locals. ;)

Laura - Yeah, but we decided against it. There's more to one way to riches, and that way would have caused backaches.

Jenbeauty - Howdy! I really do miss you all. Hopefully will find a few hours to visit this week.

Sadie - Sorry for the image. I'll stop talking about spiders on this site. I know how much you (and a few others) get quesy just hearing about them.

Michele - Thanks. That really means something to us.

Love always hopes, always trusts, always perseveres

Strong words there.

Mokuyobi - Awesome. I missed ya.

Scott - Money. No jobs here. But both Sacramento and San Francisco are full of them. We'll be keeping this house and renting in one of those areas.

10/17/2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Michele - yes. Let's definitely shoot for Spring. Would love to meet you all in person.

10/17/2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

You and yours will be in my thoughts - I hope everything turns out well for all of you. :-)

10/17/2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger funny bunny said...

Hey ZS.... really feels good to be comin to your blog.... i was away for ages... somethin' terrible happened to me... but now am fine... tryin to get on with life!
umm... wicked!! *brims* ur post still got that flava! :)

10/17/2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My wife's majoring in cosmotology.

Cool! I know a few people that went to beauty school. One is a very good aestitian (sp? skincare) and another went for hair.

and LP: You're never too old. I work at a University where the majority of our students are adults over the age of 30. I'm in classes with a few women who are 50+ right now. If it's something you really want to do, don't let age discourage you.

10/18/2005 7:00 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - Glad you mentioned the age thing about college. The 2nd best comp sci student of my year was a 51-year-old woman. I forgot all about that.

Bridget - Beds probably aren't comfortable and a lot of women in jail are meth freaks, so as poorly as you sleep now... :(

TC - Welcome back. I noticed you've been away. I think I said something about it on your last post.

Notta - They will be. Got interviews set up in Oakland, Walnut Creek, and Sacramento. Won't be too far from you. Bay Area bloggers should get together at one of those restaurants Joe was talking about. Don't worry, there's always something on the menu that's not too exotic.

10/18/2005 9:23 AM  
Blogger begins with v said...

I'm always glad to see your comments on my page...

10/18/2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Yes, Saturns do get great gas mileage. Sorry to hear of your woes. I'm in the same boatas Mrs. Z. I've been looking forward to going back to college but haven't because of my husband's career. Us wives still love you though.

10/19/2005 5:54 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Sorry to hear about the Goleta mishap. I tend to be romantic about the area and forget the high level of craziness and disrepair of a lot of the houses. You're so determined that you're a cinch to line up something good soon.

10/20/2005 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home