Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith

If you haven't seen it already, I will warn you about two things. First off, the level of violence should have merited it an R rating. But that's a gripe I have with the stupid movie ratings system. Graphic violence is alright but nudity will warp your kids. So I will warn you in advance to seriously consider not taking the young ones to this one. The second thing is more important.

I read the script before seeing the movie, so I knew coming in that the dialog was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Plus, I will warn you that the acting stinks. The only one who seemed to act well was the guy who played Palpatine/Darth Sidious.

Knowing that, do not expect decent dialog. Do not expect decent acting. Go in knowing that both stink, and you won't be disappointed.

The movie lasted two hours and thirty minutes yet it flew by so fast that it seemed like only a half hour. Lucas is top notch for directing action, and this movie delivered. Practically the whole movie consisted of fighting scenes, and they all worked. I don't want to give much else away. You already know the story. You already know who lives and who dies. And it will relieve you to know that Jar Jar has zero lines of dialogue, although they do show him in a scene or two. Unfortunately, it's not a scene where a stray lightsaber cuts him in half.

So...leave your brain at the door. Let the bad acting and bad dialogue go, and enjoy the thrill ride. Despite its flaws, Mrs. Zombieslayer and I loved it. We loved how it tragically tied the two trilogies together as well. Eight dead zombies from the Zombieslayer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Yes, I agree. Lucas cannot write dialogue. To quote Roger Ebert (whose reviews I often disagree with but this one he nailed) "Hallmark cards have more passion".

I didn't think Hayden Christiansen was that bad - I mean, the acting can only be as good as the writing. So relatively speaking, he did ok. How much can you do with "scowl and look conflicted"

I liked it and thought it tied the story together pretty well.

5/24/2005 6:03 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Writing and acting our pretty much what I consider the two most important things in a film, so it's hard to get past that. I will say that Lucas delivered what I expected, but it could have been so much better.

5/24/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

I Never understood the Star Wars craze - maybe one day it will all hit me.

5/24/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger McFox said...

Ewan McGregor stinks! If he had kept his Scottish accent, at least his character would have had some depth.

5/24/2005 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Zombieslayer, you might be interested in my son's blog. You share his interests, and today he also reviewed Star Wars. You can get there by putting culturezoo in your search engine, or find him on Sadie's blog. He's "Levi".
I enjoyed your review. However, I will probably see it only if my son absoloutly forces me to. I think the first 3 are way over-rated, or I guess over-"cherished" would be the word, and the last 3 are super boring and without any heart.
Have you checked out Hayden C. in "Shattered Glass"? He can act with the right script.

5/24/2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Michele - Yeah, I've seen Levi's blog and it's quite good.
As for Hayden C., I've never seen that movie, but I've always believed a good director is more important than a good actor. Lucas has a way of taking decent actors and somehow making them look bad.
The movie's worth seeing though, for the action alone. I don't get too ga ga over Star Wars like I do with Lord of the Rings or
the Harry Potter movies (love the books even more) though.

5/25/2005 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home