Monday, May 30, 2005

I am not a Libertarian

I got a chance to see the Libertarian presidential candidate speak. I think his name was Bednarik. I liked him. He gave us an excellent analogy. He asked us if we'd like to move back in with our parents and live by their rules. We all said no. He asked us if we'd rather make our own decisions or let our parents make our decisions. We said we'd rather make our own decisions. Then he asked if we'd rather make our own decisions or let the government make decisions for us. We said we'd rather make our own decisions. In his first five minutes, he displayed more intelligence than Bush or Kerry (not saying much), so by the end of his speech, I decided to vote for the guy.

I'm not a Libertarian though. Never have been. Probably never will be. For one thing, I've been to many Libertarian meetings (I go to political meetings all the time) and one thing they have in common is they're cold ass people. They basically believe you get what you deserve. If you're poor, it's your fault for being a lazy ass.

No, I don't buy that. There is such thing as bad luck and I've seen it happen way too many times. I don't want to pay for someone on the dole who's lazy, but I will gladly pay for someone on the dole who the floor fell from under him. And do you expect me to believe that Paris Hilton earned her millions?

The other major beef I have with the Libertarian party is that they're anti-environmentalism. Hate to break it to you Libertarians, but one of the reasons I love America so much is that we're not India. We don't have human fecal matter floating in our rivers because the sewage gets dumped straight in. We don't have half-burned up human corpses floating down the river because the guy doing the incineration ran out of gas.


Sure some corporations pollute and get away with breaking laws, but we do have standards and for the most part, they are enforced. And sure the Bush Administration is a nightmare to environmentalists, but he's still head and shoulders over anything in the Third World.

I've been to Mexico City and it's disgusting (a great time, but you'll take ten years off your life living there). Compare Mexico City with any city in America, even Houston or L.A., and there's a night and day difference.

Libertarians refuse to acknowledge that. They refuse to acknowledge that there are good environmental laws and setting aside some land for Natural Parks is a good thing. They'd just as soon open the whole country to the highest bidder. Screw that.

Item #3. I know labor unions are corrupt. I know some union employees are the laziest people in America. But I also know American history as well as about anyone and know without the unions, there would be no middle class, there will still be child labor, they'll be no minimum wage, and working conditions would be atrocious.

There must be a balance between capitalists and labor. Too much power to the capitalists and labor gets exploited. Too much power to labor and nothing gets done. Libertarians hate labor unions and will take the side of the capitalists every time.

Nope. So for me, those are the three main reasons I'm not a Libertarian. Love their civil liberty plank, especially their disdain for all gun laws, but nope, The Zombieslayer's not one of them.

11 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Amen. Very well put! I have many of the same problems with Liberatarians. The government does have a role to play regulating certain aspects of society. It's up to the citizens to draw the line in the sand as to how much regulation is too much. Government inspection of meatpackers = good thing. OSHA = good thing. Government trying to dictate social norms (aka sexuality between consenting adults) = bad thing. Possible government regulation of paid cable television = bad thing. It's give & take.

5/30/2005 4:57 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Is there another election coming up soon that I don't know about?

Whatever happened to that whole 'FEAR/FOUR more years' thing?

5/30/2005 5:52 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - you and I seem to have a lot in common politically.

Cultureshocked - no, don't worry. I'm just a political junkie (as well as a food junkie, a movie junkie, a music junkie, a gun junkie, a book junkie...). So don't worry. You're not missing anything.

5/30/2005 6:27 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

You know, I voted for Badnarik in protest (no question Kerry was winning California anyway), but he's kind of extreme even for Libertarians. I'm pretty much with you on why I'm not a member, although I'm a bit softer on gun control. I do wish they'd have some real impact just to shake things up, though.

5/31/2005 6:21 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I lean libertarian, but unlike libertarians I know we need government. I consider government a "necessary evil" to keep this great country of ours running. Government needs to collect taxes (albeit not as much as they do now) to help run all the basic systems, water sewage, etc. No government= anarchy anarchy=3rd world country. The US is NOT a 3rd world country.

5/31/2005 6:33 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Jason - yes, mine was a protest vote as well because I couldn't stomach either Kerry or Bush.

Ben - Gov't does do wonderful things, like sewage, delivering mail, financial aid (of which I benefited from greatly), designating some areas open space, etc. Libertarians will never give Gov't any credit. Agreed that w/o Gov't, we'd have a Third World country.

5/31/2005 9:13 AM  
Blogger Levi Nunnink said...

How does homeland defense work into Libertarian policy? I imagine it's more on the shoulders of the civilians to arm themselves against threats but I'm not sure.

5/31/2005 12:15 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Levi - I think it's both, but yes, they stress being armed like the Swiss so if someone attacks, your average Joe Plumber or Jane GroceryStoreOwner can grab their rifles and blast away the attackers, whether a criminal, a foreign invader, or a terrorist.
But I do think that's one of the few good uses of Gov't according to them. Don't quote me on that though because I'm not sure.

5/31/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Don't try to put a label on yourself, Zombieslayer. Do what I do; vote your conscience. The last couple of presidential elections my conscience told me to vote "none of the above", so I did!

5/31/2005 4:11 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Tshsmom - the reason for the label is not really for the label, but I'd love to be able to find a political party where I believed in 75% of the platform. Unfortunately, none exist, yet.

Bridget - Sorry, but you and I are in the past. One of my first political rants on my blog was how I loved JFK.

6/01/2005 9:13 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Let me know if you find that party! I've gotten to the point where I REFUSE to vote for "the lesser of two evils" anymore!

6/02/2005 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home